Schneider Electric VP of Industry and Government Affairs, Building Business Unit in Washington, District Of Columbia
VP of Industry and Government Affairs, Building Business Unit
Schneider Electric is leading the Digital Transformation of Energy Management and Automation in Homes, Buildings, Data Centers, Infrastructure and Industries. With global presence in over 100 countries, Schneider is the undisputable leader in Power Management, Medium Voltage, Low Voltage and Secure Power, and in Automation Systems. We provide integrated efficiency solutions, combining energy, automation and software. In our global Ecosystem, we collaborate with the largest Partner, Integrator and Developer Community on our Open Platform to deliver real-time control and operational efficiency.
The world is on the precipice of significant global change, and Schneider Electric is on the forefront of that. The VP of Industry and Government Affairs for the Building Business Unit (BU) must fully embrace this change, with a passion for the issues of the Building business as well as a vision for how to continue to effect change in this area.
The Building BU leadership team understands the value of a truly strategic function for industrial and government affairs. This newly created role will help protect against business threats, but more importantly, identify those opportunities for the company and its leaders to reinforce its reputation as a pioneer in the sector. Schneider Electric is looking to hire a strong Vice President Industry and Government Affairs for Building BU who will be able to assess the current overall business strategies of the Building BU and its businesses, identify the related industry and government affairs priorities, build best-in-class policy strategies and programs for these priorities and ensure that these are thoroughly integrated in the BU, its businesses as well as the Group activities overall.
The person will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Strategy and Operations, Building & IT BU and a dotted line with the SVP Global Industry and Government Affairs. However, it is essential that he/she work in a truly collaborative manner – coordinating across the company, the lines of business, geographies, and functional areas – to ensure a cohesive, impactful approach that helps drive and support other company initiatives and bottom-line business results. Building internal and external coalitions is a must; it is a key to success for Schneider Electric.
This position would be most likely be based in the Washington, DC office, but the company is open to considering other locations. Regardless, it is expected that this person will travel frequently and work in a global capacity. Regional priorities include Europe, China and North America, this is not a US-centric role. Its success lies in a global approach.
The Vice President Industry and Government Affairs must be a creative, strategic professional who thinks in solutions, and is able to quantify business outcomes. This person will be required to operate with global credibility – both internally and externally – and take an unbiased approach, balancing the short and long-term priorities, including what is best for the company and the world as a whole. As such, this is a significant undertaking that will necessitate a strong foundation in strategic thinking, diplomacy, vision setting, and a deep content understanding. Moreover, the ability to be creative, generative, and forward-thinking, while also acting as a truly collaborative colleague within a large, global, matrix setting is crucial.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- Create strategic policy plans that support the continuing development of the business of Building BU, promoting a clear understanding of the vision and strategic priorities, while also ensuring the business operates increasingly effectively and efficiently and is able to deliver on its strategic goals.
- Act as a global energy and climate policy champion to ensure that key objectives are prioritized and implemented appropriately across the Group. Through this oversight, ensure consistency, quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance.
- Liaise closely with corporate, country and regional-specific colleagues/stakeholders to provide input into the strategic direction and fully understand the requirements for local variations; increasing clarity at local level and improving organizational efficiency.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with external stakeholders, such as industry bodies, regulators and consultants.
- Senior executive presence and maturity with not less than 15 years related experience.
- Understand trends and developments in the markets and related buildings business policy sphere, and the impact on the Building BU of Schneider Electric and its global business ventures; identify key levers to capitalize on opportunities and/or minimize downside exposure.
- Significant understanding of, and exposure to, commercial drivers of the priority topics and the impact these have on businesses broadly.
- Strong technical policy knowledge; able to draft a holistic picture of the overall activities and policy as they relate to energy management/ efficiency and building automation.
- The ability to work collaboratively with international and national partners to deliver successful outcomes, as well as a developed ability to work and engage with a diverse range of stakeholders handling potentially ambiguous objectives.
- Strong commercial and international awareness; the credibility and confidence to lead senior engagement with governments and businesses.
- Experience working within a complex matrix environment with culturally diverse teams.
- A strong commitment to values of impartiality, honesty, integrity and objectivity.
- Possesses drive, energy, ambition and future potential.
- Has a passion or affinity for Schneider Electric’s business in general and the Building business in particular
- Advanced degree preferred
- Clear thinker, with strong analytical skills and the ability to shape and impact in a complex and fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt rapidly to changing business requirements and shifting priorities
- Solid business acumen and commercial understanding; able to align and engage with business leaders
- Has demonstrated the ability to develop and implement an effective corporate policy strategy
- Successfully demonstrates strategic thinking and can translate strategy and plans into business value added metrics
- Understands trends in the global environment and can link them with the internal strategy
Executing for results
- Sound judgement and an innovative thinker with the ability to create effective solutions in high pressure situations
- Ensures smooth and effective organizational build up and execution of the respective policy functions
- Demonstrated comfort to advocate change and follow through to implementation
- A true collaborator with a proven ability to set-up a new activity
- Excellent and proven influencing skills in a global and multi-cultural environment.
- Able to drive consensus, to get along with diverse corporate professionals and to work with senior executives and staff at all levels within the Group
Building Relationships and Using Influence
- High sense of integrity, possesses self-confidence, as well as humility
- Strong interpersonal skills; influential and inclusive, engaging and a clear communicator
- While working in a challenging and fast-paced environment, the candidate needs to be diplomatic and gracious in manner and comfortable in building bridges and developing networks and relationships in a variety of constituencies, internationally
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
Primary Location: US-District of Columbia-Washington
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Req ID: 0047WJ